The decision as to whether to have Thea's cleft palate surgery done in China (as Shepherd's Field Children's Village has scheduled), or wait until we bring her home was not an easy one for us. After much prayer, as well as talking to the cleft surgeon here where we live, and also talking to friends that have daughters from China with cleft lip/palate...we were able to make a decision that we are at peace with and are confident is the best one for our little girl.
In the end, we have decided to wait until we bring Thea back home to Canada before having her cleft palate surgery done.
By waiting to do the surgery here, it eliminates all of the 'unknowns' and possible risks of having it done in China, such as contracting Hep B while in the hospital among other things. It was so difficult to imagine our little Thea going through her surgery without us...she's our baby girl!...so this way we will be able to be with her to comfort her, and hopefully use it as an opportunity to build our attachment with her. Although Thea's surgery will be a little later age wise, waiting will also allow the cleft surgeon and doctors here in knowing all the 'ins and outs' of her surgery for future follow up and her long term care. We believe that the worst case scenario for us choosing to wait would be that her speech might be delayed a bit...really a minor concern in the big picture of life, especially with the resources available here to help with this.
I emailed the doctor from Shepherd's Field today to let him know of our decision so that they can cancel her surgery that had been planned for later this month. We are hoping that this will allow them to use the money that they would have had to pay for Thea's surgery to provide another child from Shepherd's Field with the surgery or medical help that they may need.
Gayle :)
Sunday, April 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment